Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Friday, July 18, 2008

Driving in Dallas: Lesson #1 & #2

I drove over to Kristy and Deanna's apartment in Coppell, TX yesterday to hang out. It is about 45 minutes with no traffic. I want to brag on myself that I made it over there successfully yesterday morning with only making one wrong turn...yes that is with a GPS helping me, but it didn't give me the instructions fast enough. Anyways, I quickly righted myself and was on my way again. The lesson learning came on the way home. I get in my little car and tell Susie the Garmin to take me home. She says to proceed to the President George W. Bush Turnpike. I think to myself...hey there is a toll for that road. I didn't have too much change...I drove by the on-ramp and saw that it was only $.40. I pulled over in the next parking lot and dug out $.40. YES I know that you can tell the GPS to avoid tolls...but that added like 10 minutes to my driving time and it was way too close to 5:00 to be wasting time unnecessarily. So I scrape together my 40 cents and go back to the on ramp. I am so excited that I get to throw the money in the little bucket! I pull up....not close enough...and lean out the window...and throw. Any of you that know me very well know what is coming...I MISSED! How do you MISS!?! Well I did..but it was only one dime...so I quickly grabbed two nickels and went on my way. Now...After I get on the Turnpike...I remember Kristy telling me that if you stay on it too long, you have to pay again. So I think oh...I will get my 40 cents together before I get there. Well sure enough...I have to pay again...but this time it is a WHOLE dollar. I don't have a whole dollar....not anywhere close...and I have no cash...only a debit card. So I pull up to the little booth and say..."I didn't know I was going to have to pay this again...I don't have a dollar...This is all I have...(I am almost in tears)...I am sooo sorry. I am not from around here!" The guy looks at me (he is an old man, so he pitys me) and tells me not to worry about it, just go on through. He takes the meager offering I do have, and I drive on through. As I do...all these bells start to go off...why...because I didn't pay my toll. Sad Story!

Lesson #1: ALWAYS pull up very close to the bucket.
Lesson #2: ALWAYS travel in big cities with CHANGE!

2 comments:

DM said...

I was laughing out loud as I read this retelling of your drive home. You have a great way of telling exactly how it happens. Thanks for sharing!! Next time, I will give you a coin/dollar donation. :)

Josh, Jessica, and Alyssa said...

Poor thing! I probably would have cried, and I probably would not have tried to travel by myself. I am a little girl when it comes to driving in big cities by myself.