Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

When I was a little girl, I wrote my mother a poem in honor of Mother's day. In it, I praised her for her ability to make me creamed corn. Now, with some age and perspective, I can find many things to praise her for, although making me creamed corn is always sure to be a success. In an effort to keep this moderately brief, two main things stand out about my mom. First, she is always ready and willing to listen. She has always been this way. I cannot remember a time in my entire life when I was not perfectly comfortable talking to her about ANYTHING. From childhood problems, to teen-aged boy drama, to "grown-up" (if that is what I am) fears and dreams. Whatever it is that's on my mind, she is always there ready to listen. As a child, we usually had our chats as she tucked me into bed each night--yes right up until the night before my wedding--or on long road trips to visit her family. Now, these conversations are on the either end of a phone, but I'm looking forward to the time when I can actually sit with her and talk about what's going on in life again. Second, mom has ALWAYS supported me 100% in the things I feel like God as led me to do in my life. She did this even when it was at great cost to her. (i.e. her baby spending 7 weeks on the other side of the planet as a summer missionary or her baby moving 8 hours away to pursue a seminary degree.) Her actions in response to these decisions speak volumes to me about what my mother believes about God. I know that she trusts Him to lead and guide my life.

For these two reasons and SO much more, I am thankful for my mama. I love you! I only hope that one day I can be as great a mom as you are.

No comments: